Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live



Massive fire guts SA's historic mosque

Copyright © africanews


Massive fire engulfed a 139 year old Durban mosque in South Africa's southeastern port city on Monday,

Firefighters managed to bring the fire under control in about two hours, before it reached the prayer area on the ground floor.

It is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault hence no foul play.

The mosque is a Durban city centre icon and a well-attended, offering space for up to 7,000 people during prayer according to a mosque adherent.

Mosque workers and their families were all evacuated before the fire spread and there were no injuries reported.

Videos posted on Twitter showed crowds looking on as curtains of flame raged through the upper floor of the building.