Algerian international Riyad Mahrez has been crowned 2016 African Player of the Year in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja.
He beats Gabonese Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Senegalese winger Sadio Mane to be the winner of the continent’s top football award.
“It’s a huge honour to receive this award, I want to thank all my teammates, my family, Africa, and Nigeria as well,” a happy Mahrez said.
Below are the other awards presented on Thursday night at the Abuja International Conference Centre in Nigeria.
- African Player of the Year: Riyad Mahrez
- CAF Platinum Award: Muhammadu Buhari
- Football Leader of the Year: Manuel Lopes Nascimento
- African Player of the Year – Based in Africa: Denis Onyango
- Referee of the Year: Bakary Papa Gassama
- Women’s Player of the Year: Asisat Oshoala
- 2016 Coach of the Year: Pitsoo Mosimane
- 2016 Youth Player of the Year: Alex Iwobi
- 2016 Most Promising Player of the Year: Kelechi Iheanacho
- Club of the Year: Memelodi Sundowns
- Women’s National Team of the Year: Nigeria
- National Team of the Year: Uganda
Follow our live page below to catch up on what you missed.