Egyptian Olympic hopeful Ihab Abdelrahman, could miss next month’s Rio Olympic games after Egypt’s anti- doping agency said on Sunday, that he will be temporarily be suspended for failing a doping test.
The agency said that Ihab was tested in April and his A sample turned out positive at a lab in Barcelona.
The ban will be fully confirmed if a second sample turns out positive and he could subsequently be banned for four years.
The 27 year old is a world silver medalist who secured Egypt’s first medal at the Beijing IAAF Championship, held in August last year.
He however has dismissed the doping allegations and has urged Egypt’s ministry of Youth and Sports as well as the country’s Olympic Committee to stand by him.
“ I have been using the same food supplements since 2013. I undergo lab tests two times every month, this decision is very shocking. “ I feel like I am living a nightmare and am just waiting to wakeup” he said during an interview with a local Egyptian television station.