Malaysia’s transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said he would meet relatives of passengers from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in Perth on Monday after being lobbied by a group representing families of those lost when the plane vanished in 2014.
The Voice370 group said on Sunday that a spokeswoman, Danica Weeks, would deliver personal letters to Malaysian Transport Minister, asking him to resume the search which was called off last week.
Joined in Perth by counterparts from China and Australia to welcome ashore crew members from the returned Fugro Equator search vessel, the minister reiterated that the underwater search would only be restarted if “credible new evidence” as to the plane’s whereabouts was discovered.
“I’ll be receiving the letter today, I’ll be meeting her, and I will hope that we can have a close, good discussion,” he added.
He explained further that they would continue to work on the debris and work with all the countries concerned.a Adding that they are committed to continue with the search for the debris and hope they can get more credible evidence on the missing plane.
“We the families express our strong opposition and protest the decision,” said father of one of the passengers.
The Boeing 777 jet disappeared in March 2014 en route to Beijing from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur, with 239 people on board, sparking one of the world’s great aviation mysteries.