Banned UEFA President Michel Platini has taken his appeal against a ban from soccer by FIFA to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the Swiss-based sports tribunal said on Wednesday.
The former UEFA president Platini and ex-FIFA boss Sepp Blatter were banned from all football activity over a conflict of interest in a two million Swiss franc (£1.35m) payment deal made to Platini that is also the subject of a criminal investigation in Switzerland.
The two men appealed the decision to the Appeals Committee of world football’s governing body, which reduced their bans by two years last week.
— Goal (@goal_intl) March 2, 2016
However, in a statement released by CAS, it confirmed that Platini, 60, has officially launched an appeal against the decision.
“In appealing to the CAS, Michel Platini seeks to annul the decisions taken by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee and by the FIFA Appeal Committee which lead to him being declared ineligible to take part in football-related activity at national and international level for six years,” CAS said in a statement from its Lausanne headquarters.
No hearing date has been set.