Democratic Republic Of Congo
At least 11 people were killed and 930 prisoners escaped on Sunday when unidentified assailants stormed a jail in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s northeastern town of Beni, the provincial governor said.
The attack is at least the fourth prison break in Congo in the last month.
North Kivu province’s governor, Julien Paluku, said in a statement that the assailants had used heavy weapons, killing eight prison guards.
“Only the army and the police have the right to circulate to bring under control the enemy, who started to flee at 3:30 pm (1330 GMT),” Paluku said.
About 30 prisoners remain inside the facility and a curfew is now in place in Beni and surrounding areas, he added.
It is not yet clear who had carried out the attack.
The escape of 4000 inmates last month from Kinshasa’s main high-security prison was blamed on a separatist sect.
Reuters
Go to video
IS-linked rebels kill at least 20 in Congo village attack, army says
00:51
South Africa to withdraw troops from UN mission in DR Congo
00:54
AFC/M23 rebels claim responsability for drone attack on Kisangani airport
00:51
DR Congo: authorities call for calm after drone attacks on airport
01:14
UN to deploy ceasefire monitoring mission to eastern DR Congo
Go to video
Families mourn victims of Congo mine collapse as search for survivors continues