USA
The Supreme Court of the United States on Monday partially lifted an injunction against the travel bans issued by President Donald Trump.
The apex court’s decision allows the travel ban to take effect but stated that it will listen to the substantive case in October this year.
The order bans citizens of six Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States. Three African countries were affected by the order. Libya, Sudan and Somalia. The other three were Syria, Yemen and Iraq.
Till date, Trump had signed two separate orders, but both had been suspended by lower courts forcing the case to be taken to the apex court.
The second order called for 90-day ban on nationals of the affected countries seeking to enter the US. The second order also removed Iraq from the original list of seven countries.
It also introduces a 120-day ban on all refugees arriving in the US, a move meant to allow Washington to implement tighter vetting procedures.
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in March this year slammed the earlier order describing it as “selective and discriminatory.” The OIC said it was of the view that the ban will further complicate the grave situation that refugees find themselves.
OIC is the second largest inter-governmental organization after the United Nations. It has 56 other member states across the world. All the affected countries belong to the bloc. The Gambia is set to host the next summit of the body.
01:44
Trump should face international justice, says lawyer Reed Brody
01:57
Trump and Putin's meetings with Chinese leader deliver markedly different messages
01:30
Cubans reject outside intervention after US indicts Raúl Castro
Go to video
US escalates pressure on Cuba with indictment of former president Raúl Castro on criminal charges
01:00
Bangladesh: Albino buffalo nicknamed “Donald Trump” becomes unlikely star attraction
00:46
Freetown welcomes first US deportation flight under Trump crackdown