Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Egypt: holiday makers return to hotel where Brit couple died

Egypt

<p>Holidaymakers staying at Egypt’s coastal city of Hurghada said on Sunday that they felt safe just days after the death of a British couple that were staying there. </p> <p>Earlier, the daughter of the couple said that something in the room of the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel must be responsible for their as-yet unexplained deaths.</p> <p>Kelly Ormerod made the comments in an interview with the <span class="caps">BBC</span> a day after Egypt’s public prosecutor declared the air conditioning at the hotel was functioning safely.</p> <p>Ormerod said while she did not know if her parents had inhaled a toxic substance, she believed something present in the hotel room must have caused the deaths of John and Susan Cooper.</p> <p>The couple passed away hours apart on August 21. </p> <p>Britain’s Thomas Cook, which organised the trip, said on Friday August 24 it had received further reports of illness among guests at the hotel, without further details. </p> <p>The Egyptian prosecutor said in a statement that engineers assigned to check the room where the Coopers had been staying concluded that “all equipment was sound,” with no emission of poisonous or harmful gases.</p> <p>But, the statement added that the prosecution would issue a detailed report once it has analyzed samples taken from the couple. The Coopers were rushed to the Hurghada General Hospital where they were declared dead. </p> <p><strong>Reuters</strong></p>
View more