South Africa
Duduzane Zuma, the son of former South African president Jacob Zuma, was released on bail after appearing in court in leg-irons on Monday on charges of corruption, the biggest scalp so far in an attempt to get to the bottom of the graft allegations that swirled around his father.
Duduzane Zuma, who returned to South Africa last week to attend his brother’s funeral, was released on 100,000 rand ($7,439.76) bail with his case postponed to Jan, 24, 2019.
The charges, which he plans to contest, relate to corruption allegations made by deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas, lawyer Rudi Krause told Reuters without providing further detail.
Jonas said in 2016 the Guptas offered him the position of finance minister shortly before former president Zuma sacked then finance minister Nhlanhla Nene, in December, a move that sent markets into a tailspin.
South Africa ex-President Jacob Zuma's son charged with corruption https://t.co/O8xqyuD4ho
— Alice Calderon (@American4sure) July 9, 2018
Zuma and the Guptas have denied any wrongdoing.
Zuma arrived at the Johannesburg Specialised Crimes Court on Monday after he was detained briefly at Johannesburg’s main airport on Friday in relation to a corruption case filed in 2016.
01:51
Students turn on Senegalese government over Dakar university violence
01:51
Ramaphosa launches Nelson Mandela Rules Academy at prison
01:40
Johannesburg residents protest weeks of dry taps
01:15
South Africa reports 16% drop in rhino poaching for 2025
01:13
2026 Mining Indaba opens in Cape Town under the theme 'Stronger Together'
00:51
South Africa to withdraw troops from UN mission in DR Congo