The Ghana Police Service has announced the arrest of 24 people in connection with a mob attack on an alleged female thief in a market. The incident occurred in the second biggest capital, Kumasi in the Ashanti region.
The alleged thief was stripped naked and brutally assaulted by a mob. A video of the incident went viral on social media platform, whatsapp, leading to national outrage.
‘‘The suspects were arrested on 21st February 2017 in a Police Operation at the scene of the incident. One suspect identified as Kusi, however, managed to escape arrest,’‘ a police statement released 24 hours after the incident disclosed.
Criminals as well have rights; so in this case there is an allegation that she has stolen some money; but whether it is true or not, it is not for the mob to decide. It is for the system.
Press Release: Arrests made on Kumasi mob attack. pic.twitter.com/Fjz0gBLW8t— Ghana Police Service (@GhPoliceService) February 22, 2017
The Minister for Gender, Children and Social protection, Otiko Afisa Djaba condemned the incident and said her outfit was liaising with the police to ensure that action was expedited on the issue. Women’s rights groups have also roundly condemned the act as barbaric and unacceptable.
The victim – known as Blessing, reported the incident to the police in the region and was given a form to go to the hospital but since then nothing has been heard of her.
The lady in Kumasi was given a form to go to the hospital but she hasn’t been found – Otiko Djaba #CitiCBS— Citi 97.3 FM (@Citi973) February 23, 2017
‘‘I condemn the video. It is horrific, it is about injustice, and that is not who we are as a people. Ghanaians have a lot of warmth and love especially for their mothers and children and so even if there is an allegation we believe a person is innocent until proven guilty.
‘‘Criminals as well have rights; so in this case there is an allegation that she has stolen some money; but whether it is true or not, it is not for the mob to decide. It is for the system. It is the Police who will decide on that and that is why I am condemning it,” the sector minister told local media portal, Citi FM.