Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Zambian court dismisses opposition injunction to block Lungu's inauguration

Zambian court dismisses opposition injunction to block Lungu's inauguration

Zambia

A High Court in the Zambian capital, Lusaka, on Friday dismissed an application by the opposition United Party for National Development (UPND) who were seeking an order restraining the Chief Justice from swearing in Edgar Lungu, winner of the August 11 polls.

The UPND’s presidential candidate, Hakainde Hichilema and his running mate Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba were seeking an injunction to block the Tuesday September 13, inauguration of President-elect Edgar Lungu and his vice Inonge Mutukwa Wina.

Delivering the judgement, Judge Mwila Chitabo said there is no provision in article 28 for issuing an interim relief. “I have no jurisdiction to grant the interim relief sought. Interim relief denied with costs,” he ruled.

I have no jurisdiction to grant the interim relief sought. Interim relief denied with costs.

This is the second legal loss the UPND has suffered in the last week. The country’s Constitutional Court on Monday dismissed their election petition against Lungu’s victory on the grounds that the mandatory 14-day period slated had elapsed.

SUGGESTED READING Zambian court throws out election petition case, Lungu to hold inauguration

The UPND’s petition said the polls were rigged by the government with collusion from the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ.)

The ECZ declared Lungu winner of the polls with 50.35% and insists that the ruling Patriotic Front (PF) party defeated the UPND fairly and squarely. Hichelima got 47.35% of votes according to the final results.

SUGGESTED READING Zambia opposition rejects court ruling dismissing election petition

View more