Ivory Coast’s Murielle Ahoure set a new African 100m record with a blistering 10.78sec run at the Star Athletics Pro Meet at the Montverde Academy in Florida on Saturday.
The 28-year-old’s effort, in a wind of 1.6 meters per second, put her atop the world list for 2016 with the Rio de Janeiro Olympics beckoning in August.
Her run eclipsed the African record of 10.79 set by Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare-Ighoteguonor in London on July 27, 2013.
She improved her own personal best of 10.81, and moved past the 10.80 clocked by Tori Bowie at Doha on May 6 for the fastest time in the world this year.
Jamaica’s Veronica Campbell-Brown also broke 11 seconds, finishing second in 10.83sec.
Section 1 Wind: 1.6
1) Ahoure, Murielle Star Athletics/ 10.78
2) Campbell-Brown, Veronica Modern Sprints 10.83
3) Atkins, Joanna Life Speed 11.09
4) Whitney, Kaylin Star Athletics/11.17
5) Hill, Candace Asics 11.19
6) White, Shelby Hsinternational 11.21
7) Love, Alexis Star Athletics/11.33