- South Africa continues to report the highest number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the African continent. Inadequate access to personal protective equipment or weak infection prevention and control measures raise the risk of health worker infection.
- In East Africa, 92 per cent of working women are employed in the informal sector, heightening the risks they face of sexual exploitation and abuse due to economic vulnerability.
- Reports of gender-based violence have increased. However, service providers are not always being recognized as essential workers and women's organizations are underfunded.
- The COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan is just 23 per cent funded. More resources are urgently needed to enable partners to scale-up their response
- 793,437 total cases in the region (as of 27 Aug)
- 17,270 total deaths
- 26 countries affected in the region
Africanews provides content from APO Group as a service to its readers, but does not edit the articles it publishes.