The National Basketball Association (NBA) and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) announced on February 16, 2019, their plan to launch the Basketball Africa League (BAL), a new professional league featuring 12 club teams from across Africa and scheduled to begin play in March 2020.
The NBA is hiring a PR & Communications Lead, Basketball Africa League (BAL).
Reporting directly to the Vice President and Head of Strategy & Operations, BAL, this position will oversee the communications strategy and execution for the Basketball Africa League (BAL) with the goal of driving fan and media attendance at BAL games/events, securing media coverage of the league, growing the league's audience, and providing a professional in-arena experience for media on gamedays. Responsibilities include setting the overall communications strategy for the BAL; overseeing all business and on-court communications; press release and message development; securing media coverage in Africa on an ongoing basis; liaising with internal stakeholders, teams, partners and media; on-site execution at league events; and executive preparation. This individual will be a highly organized self-starter who works well across departments and can also work autonomously when on location at events.
Location: Dakar, Senegal
- Primary contact for all BAL business and basketball communications, including press releases, key messages, Q&As and executive remarks relating to partnerships, consumption metrics, expansion, qualification process, new elements of the league, etc
- Develop and execute communications strategy for the BAL in conjunction with BAL senior leadership and relevant NBA departments in NY and globally (Communications, International Marketing, CDS, Social & Digital Media, GCMD, etc.)
- Pitch and secure consistent media coverage in Africa about the BAL and its teams across a range of outlets, including business, technology, consumer, sports trade, health and wellness, lifestyle and news publications
- Pitch and secure consistent media coverage in Africa about BAL players, highlighting their unique journey to the league and their experience in the league
- Oversee media operations for all BAL events, including driving media attendance, credentialing, on-site media relations and event/press conference management
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Multidimensional communications leader with the ability to develop and implement multifaceted PR strategies in a variety of markets simultaneously
- A motivational leader of people who is also able to engage, listen and collaborate with multiple internal departments to deliver cross-team solutions
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Self-motivated, dedicated and driven to achieve results
- Deep knowledge and expertise of the African continent
- Strong network of high-profile African media contacts and relationships
- Basketball knowledge, experience and/or affinity a plus Bilingual – French & English required
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in PR/Comms with a confirmed track record of developing and implementing market-based communications strategies
- Proven track record of building and growing a brand following while working with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in crisis communications
- Bachelor's degree in PR, Communications, Marketing or related discipline required
- MBA or post-graduate degree preferred
Apply on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1674043777
Distributed by APO Group on behalf of National Basketball Association (NBA).