Central African Republic
Suspected Christian militias killed an Egyptian U.N. peacekeeper and wounded three others in an attack in southern Central African Republic on Sunday, the United Nations said in a statement.
The attack, which the United Nations said was carried out by anti-balaka militants, occurred in Gambo, about 100 km (60 miles) from the town of Bangassou where more than 100 civilians and three Moroccan peacekeepers were killed in separate incidents in May and July.
Conflict has killed thousands in Central African Republic since Muslim Seleka rebels ousted President Francois Bozize in 2013, provoking a backlash from the Christian anti-balaka militia.
Violence spiked when former colonial power France ended its peacekeeping mission last year.
Since then, the United Nations’ 13,000-strong Central African Republic mission, known as MINUSCA, has struggled to restore order to a country where government control barely extends beyond the capital Bangui.
In total, 13 MINUSCA peacekeepers have been killed in the country this year alone.
Five militants were also killed during Sunday’s clash, the United Nations said.
REUTERS
Go to video
DR Congo appeals for global help as new Ebola outbreak spreads
01:01
Cameroon: Filmmaker Bassek Ba Kobhio dies aged 69
Go to video
Former Botswana president Festus Mogae dies at 86
Go to video
Boko Haram jihadists kill 18 loggers in Nigeria's Borno state
01:07
ADF fighters kill at least 36 people in northeastern DR Congo
00:54
Twin jihadist-claimed attacks kill more than 30 in central Mali