A Kenyan High Court has temporarily suspended a ban on opposition protests imposed last week by the government after a series of protests against the electoral commission.
The court’s decision on Tuesday followed a case filed by a member of the opposition National Super Alliance (NASA) party Norman Magaya against the ban.
The court said the suspension will be in effect until the case is heard and judgement given, local news portal Daily Nation reported.
The judge, Justice John Mativo, also ordered that Magaya be free from arrest and prosecution until the case is over.
The ban was announced by security minister Fred Matiangi who said it was meant to protect lives and property.
It covered only the central business districts of Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu where the protests were intense and sometimes violent after clashes with the police who regularly fire tear gas.
Norman Magaya and other members of the opposition have been arrested for leading the banned demonstrations.
Despite the ban, the protests continued and at least two people were shot dead last week when around 20 youths attempted to take over a police station during an otherwise peaceful rally in the town of Bondo in the southwest county of Siaya.
20 people were also injured when police used teargas to break up small demonstrations in the three main cities.
They are calling for reforms at the electoral commission including the sack of CEO Ezra Chiloba and other electoral commissioners.