Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Kenya's incumbent say they are ready for debate after earlier snub

Kenya's incumbent say they are ready for debate after earlier snub

Kenya

Kenya’s Deputy President William Ruto says he and his boss, incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta are ready for a debate after both of them snubbed an earlier debate organised by the electoral commission.

The two Jubilee party representatives in the upcoming elections were condemned for their absence at the national debates that saw only one independent candidate participating in last week’s vice presidential debate, and the main opposition candidate Raila Odinga participating in the presidential debate on Monday.

“The debate had logistical challenges, which we raised. We are ready to debate anyone, anywhere, anytime,” Deputy President William Ruto tweeted on Wednesday.

The tweet rather generated backlash from Kenyans who believed their absence was a failure to account to the people.

The debate had logistical challenges, which we raised. We are ready to debate anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Two pinion polls released last week have placed both Kenyatta and Odinga in a slight lead.

Polling firm, Infotrak Harris, says Odinga scored a point lead over Kenyatta with 47 per cent and 43 per cent respectively after sampling 2,000 Kenyan registered voters.

The results of the July 16 to 22 poll was released two hours after that of the Ipsos polling firm which sampled 2,209 people and placed Kenyatta in the lead with 47 per cent and Odinga behind with 43 per cent.

Kenyans go to the polls on August 8 to vote for a new president. Eight candidates are contesting in the tensed election that has two favourites – President Uhuru Kenyatta of the Jubilee Party and Raila Odinga of the National Super Alliance (NASA).

View more