South Sudan
The South Sudanese government has expressed readiness for United Nations’ planned deployment of a 4,000-troop regional peacekeeping force.
The deployment of the force was as a result of a Security Council Resolution in August last year that called for the beefing up of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) force.
South Sudan’s government rejected the initial resolution and called for the troops to be from the African region, as well as to work with the government among other conditions.
The revised draft resolution authorized the regional force to take on a protective status, work with the government and report to UNMISS.
“On our side as the government, there is no problem anymore. We have done our verification and have cleared the deployment of the regional protection. Already fourteen top commanders of the regional protection force have been in the country since March as part of the deployment process,” said the cabinet affairs minister, Martin Elia Lomuro on Thursday.
He said land has also been allocated by the Jubek state government for their base and they anticipate their arrival at the end of July, local media Sudan Tribune reported.
The regional protection force will among others protect key installations in the country, civilians and offer humanitarian assistance.
The world’s youngest country plunged into civil war in 2013 just two years after gaining independence after Kiir fired his deputy, Riek Machar, triggering a conflict fought largely along ethnic lines.
01:12
UN flag at half-mast to honour humanitarian workers killed in line of duty
01:09
DRC Ebola outbreak deadliest ever with one death every 30 minutes
01:00
Former Senegalese leader Sall's bid for UN top job in trouble after straw poll
01:01
United Nations calls for an end to crackdown on civic freedoms in Uganda
01:07
United Nations extends sanctions against armed groups in Central African Republic
00:54
Ugandan diplomat Olara Otunnu joins race to lead the United Nations