Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Manchester police name suspect in Manchester Arena bomb attack

Manchester police name suspect in Manchester Arena bomb attack

United Kingdom

Police in Manchester have named a man they suspect of carrying out Monday night’s bomb attack at Manchester Arena which claimed at least 22 lives.

Greater Manchester’s Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said the suspect was 22-year-old Salman Abedi.

Reuters had earlier reported that US intelligence officials had revealed Abedi’s name and that he had travelled to Manchester from London by train.

Earlier, ISIS claimed responsibility for the bombing although this claim has yet to be confirmed.

The attack, which happened after an Ariana Grande gig at Manchester Arena in northern England, also wounded 59 people.

May said ‘many’ had life-threatening injuries.

The attacker “detonated an improvised explosive device” and died at the scene, say police, but it is not clear whether he was acting alone or as part of a militant group.

ISIS’ claim of responsibility, which was made in a statement posted on telegram, read “One of the soldiers of the Caliphate was able to place an explosive device within a gathering of the Crusaders in the city of Manchester.”

View more