Nigeria’s Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, on Wednesday disclosed that another Chibok girl has been found barely a month after 82 of her colleagues were released after negotiation with their abductors.
The yet-to-be-named girl is said to have escaped from captivity. The BBC reports that a senior presidential media advisor, Femi Adesina, disclosed that the new development was made by Acting President during the weekly cabinet meeting.
Earlier this month, the Nigerian government managed to secure the release of 82 girls after negotiations with Boko Haram members.
The release was made possible by the assistance of the International Red Cross as ‘neutral intermediaries’ and the Swiss government. In October last year, some 21 girls were also released under a similar arrangement.
The earlier release was without any known conditions but the more recent one was in exchange for five Boko Haram commanders. A decision the opposition slammed but which the government said it stood by.
Even though the news of the latest release has been carried by major news portals in the country, the Bring Back Our Girls activists have assumed a cautious approach awaiting confirmation from the Federal government.
Leader of the group, Obiageli Ezzkwesili, tweeted on Wednesday evening to that effect.