The United Nations on Monday said it was horrified by a video screened by the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo in the capital Kinshasa that appears to show the brutal killing of two U.N. investigators.
The pair from the United States and Sweden went missing last month on a mission to the Kasai Central province where rebels had intensified their anti-government insurgency in recent weeks, killing dozens on both sides.
U.N. human rights spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani said her colleagues in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have seen the video, stating they are utterly horrified at what appears to be the killing of Michael Sharp and Zeida Catalan.
As we mourn these deaths, we urge the government of the DRC to ensure that these killings and the hundreds of others such horrible killings that have taken place in the Kasai region are credibly.
“As we mourn these deaths, we urge the government of the DRC to ensure that these killings and the hundreds of others such horrible killings that have taken place in the Kasai region are credibly, thoroughly and promptly investigated and that the perpetrators are brought to justice in line with international human rights law,” she said.
The video screened to the media in Kinshasa on Monday appeared to show the two experts walking with a group of men wearing red headbands characteristic of the Kamuina Nsapu local militia.
“Outside Kananga city in the Kasai Central province and therefore not far from Moyo bridge in the Dibaya territory, the bodies were indeed found in a grave and were identified, formally, by the MONUSCO experts, specifically members of the United Nations police and that is why it took time all day yesterday.But as soon as they were formally identified, the United Nations Secretary-general was informed and the families, following protocol,” said Information Director,Charles Bambara.
Tensions with the West are also high due to criticism of Kabila whose mandate to rule the country of 70 million people expired in December 2016.