17 more mass graves have been discovered in central Democratic Republic of Congo.
Investigators from the United Nations said on Wednesday they found the graves in Kasai region, bringing the total found since August last year to 40.
Recent clashes in central Kasai between soilders and members of a local militia known as Kamuina Nsapu, have left dozens dead including the killing of two UN workers of Swedish and American origin.
Zeid Ra’ad al- Hussein, UN human rights chief, warned that if Congo’s government doesn’t investigate the violence effectively, he will urge the International Criminal Court or another outside entity do it.
On Monday, DRC’s government said it had returned the body of Kamuina Nsapu, the deceased former leader of the local militia in a bid to end months of violence in Kasai.
Congo’s Interior Ministry added that the late rebel leader had appointed Jacques Kabeya Ntumba as the new head.