USA
US President Donald Trump has backtracked on his campaign-trail criticism of NATO.
“I said it was obsolete. It’s no longer obsolete,” he said of the 28-member organisation.
However, he reiterated his push for all nations in the alliance to pay their fair share.
His comments came during a visit to the White House by NATO Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg.
Stoltenberg said the meeting between the two had been excellent and productive. Trump appeared to agree.
“The secretary-general and I had a productive discussion about what more NATO can do in the fight against terrorism. I complained about that a long time ago and they made a change, and now they do fight terrorism. I said it was obsolete. It’s no longer obsolete. (…) In facing our common challenges we must also ensure that NATO members meet their financial obligations and pay what they owe. Many have not been doing that,” said Trump.
He also thanked NATO for supporting his decision to launch 59 cruise missiles at a Syrian air base a week earlier.
Since taking office, Trump has expressed some support for NATO and last month the US Senate overwhelmingly backed allowing Montenegro to join the organisation.
The US is said to have supported the expansion in the hope of sending a message that it will resist Russian efforts to increase its influence across Europe.
00:33
Pix of the Day: August 28, 2025
01:01
US limits new Covid-19 vaccines to high-risk groups, removes Pfizer for under-5s
01:11
Nearly 200,000 people deported from US since Trump return to office
00:57
Deadly Russian attack on Kyiv leaves 10 killed, nearly 50 injured
00:31
South African politician Julius Malema found guilty of hate speech
01:07
Denmark summons US envoy over claimed interference campaign in Greenland