Zambia’s government has launched a consultative process to involve the public in the country’s decision on whether to leave or stay as a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The process starting March 27, 2017 will involving seeking submissions from the public in 30 districts across the country where a team will be put in place, Justice Minister Given Lubinda announced to the media on Thursday.
He added that the process will cost 2 million Zambian Kwacha (USD 385) and a report will be submitted to cabinet to make a final decision.
Zambian President Edgar Lungu has hailed the process which he says respects the constitution and the power vested in the people, Lubinda said.
Zambia became a member of the ICC in 2002 and like other African countries, it is considering its membership.
Late last year, South Africa, Burundi and The Gambia announced plans to leave the court, leading to concerns that other states would follow.
African leaders argue the court – set up to prosecute perpetrators of war crimes and genocide – unfairly singles out crimes in the continent for prosecution.
New Gambian President Adama Barrow has withdrawn the ICC withdrawal process started last year by former leader Yahya Jammeh.