South Africa
South African soccer was on Monday hit with an another scandal when FIFA said the national team’s World Cup qualifying win over Senegal last year was fixed, leaving the legacy of the country’s hosting of the 2010 finals in more turmoil.
In banning Ghanaian referee Joseph Lamptey for life, world soccer’s governing body said the outcome of South Africa’s 2-1 home win in African Group D in November had been contrived.
The official was found guilty of unlawfully influencing the match result after handing South Africa a soft penalty for handball just before halftime and allowing a second goal in controversial circumstances from a quickly taken free-kick soon after in a qualifying match for the 2018 finals in Russia.
Who had influenced Lamptey to help South Africa win the match was not addressed in FIFA’s statement on Monday.
However, the world ruling body says “Further information concerning the South Africa v. Senegal match in question will be provided once the decision becomes final and binding.”
FIFA officials, who did not want to be named, told Reuters match-fixing was uncovered following irregular betting activity.
South Africa’s Football Association (SAFA) on Monday did not respond to question on match-fixing allegations.
00:59
Rare African moon moths hatch in Bulgaria
00:33
Pix of the Day: August 28, 2025
01:18
Mass protests in Kenya, Senegal, South Africa condemn Israel’s Gaza War
01:00
Pix of the Day: August 22, 2025
01:13
South Africa starts a soul-searching 'national dialogue' about poverty, inequality and other issues
Go to video
Debate over asset declarations: Senegal's controversial draft law