Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

UK inquiry rules victims of 2015 Tunisia beach attack let down by 'cowardly' forces

UK inquiry rules victims of 2015 Tunisia beach attack let down by 'cowardly' forces

Tunisia

Relatives of the British victims of a terror attack at a hotel in Tunisia that occured in 2015, say they will sue tour operator TUI, following a UK judge’s decision who said that Tunisian security forces acted “cowardly” and failed to help people in danger.

Judge Nicholas Loraine -Smith ruled the British victims were unlawfully killed and criticised the local police response to the attack.

“On behalf of our clients who lost members of their families and those who suffered injuries in this terrible incident we will now be preparing to commence civil proceedings against TUI,” said Kylie Hutchison, a Lawyer representing some families

Following ruling, Nick Longman, TUI manging director said, “On that day the world changed. As an industry we have adapted and we will need to continue to do so. This terrorist incident has left its mark on all of us and its impact will always be remembered.”

According Sofian Siti, spokesperson for Tunisia’s judicial probe into the attack, six security guards from the Rui Imperial Marhaba hotel had been charged for failing to help people in danger.

On June 26 2015, a gunman identified as Seifeddine Rezgui, opened fire on tourists staying at a popular resort just north of Sousse in Tunisia, killing 38 people of whom 30 were British tourists staying at the Rui Imperial Marhaba.

The attack was claimed by the so-called Islamic State.

View more