The deputy leader of Libya’s U.N.-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) has resigned on Monday.
Musa al-Koni announced his resignation which he says is as a result of failure by the administration in Tripoli to solve the problems in the country since their arrival in March last year.
“I announce my resignation due the failure of the Presidential Council, because it holds responsibility for the killing, kidnapping, and rape that happened over the past year,” Koni told the media in Tripoli.
“I don’t think we are unaware of what the citizens are suffering, but we are incapable, and I admit that we are failures because we didn’t solve the problems, which are many,” he added.
Libya’s GNA is struggling to establish authority in the country with a strong rivalry from the parallel authority led by Marshal Khalifa Haftar, who is based in the east of the country.
The head of the GNA Fayez al-Sarraj announced in December that the city of Sirte is no more the Libyan stronghold of the Islamic State organization (IS) yet the war against terrorism in Libya has “not finished”.