The Nigerian Army has formally responded to the latest video released by insurgent group, Boko Haram, describing it as ‘nothing but mere terrorist propaganda aimed at creating fear in the mind of people to remain relevant.’
The statement released on Thursday added, ‘‘There is no cause for alarm, more so as concerted effort in clearing the vestiges of Boko Haram terrorists wherever they are hiding is still ongoing.
‘‘Our gallant troops deployed in various parts of the north east have continued to intensify search for all persons associated with Boko Haram terrorist group with the view to bring them to justice.”
There is no cause for alarm, more so as concerted effort in clearing the vestiges of Boko Haram terrorists wherever they are hiding is still ongoing.
The Army however said it was going to subject the video to ‘further forensic analysis.’ The statement was released hours after Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau denied that the group had been ousted from their fortress in Nigeria’s Sambisa Forest.
Less than a week ago, President Muhammadu Buhari announced that the army had ousted Boko Haram from their last bastion in the Sambisa forest.
The Army Chief subsequently disclosed that from next year they will begin training exercises in the fallen stronghold of the terrorists as a measure of securing the place so that the terrorists cannot return to it.
In a 25-minute video released on Thursday, Shekau is seen surrounded by hooded and armed fighters, he accused the government of telling lies to the people.
Boko Haram leader dismisses Nigeria's claims of 'crushing' the group https://t.co/lSSpsnnt7V— africanews (@africanews) December 29, 2016
“We are safe, we have not been driven out of nowhere, and tactics and strategies cannot reveal our position unless Allah wills,” Shekau said, adding: “you should not lie to people, if you have crushed us, how can you see me like that. How many times have you killed us?”
The Boko Haram leader was emphatic about the group’s goal to establish an Islamic caliphate while stating that the war is not over.
“Your soldiers want a break, so they said they finished the job,” Shekau said in the video which he says was recorded on December 25.