Nigeria
Nigeria’s Health Minister, Isaac Adewole has dismissed claims of ‘plastic rice’ being imported into the country. He said preliminary tests revealed that there was no evidence to back the claims.
The Minister through a series of tweets on his official handle said he had been briefed by head of the National Agency for Food Administration and Control (NAFDAC), ‘‘Preliminary test results reveal there is no evidence backing claims,’‘ he added.
He further disclosed that the test conducted came up with results including – negative cooking status, the cooking, pre-ashing and odour were normal, the colour was off white grains and it’s moisture was 13.0.
.
— Prof. Isaac Adewole (IsaacFAdewole) December 22, 2016nafdacagency
will release detailed findings to public as soon as it concludes investigations. We urge all Nigerians to remain calm for now
Nigerian customs authorities reported the [interception of 102 bags of rumoured plastic rice in Lagos](
The plastic rice branded Beat Tomato Rice was in storage at the time of seizure and was ready for distribution during the christmas holidays in Ikeja, the state capital of Lagos State.
According to the chief of customs in Lagos, Mohammed Haruna, one person has been arrested in connection with the commodity and the distribution point of the seized plastic rice has been blocked for further investigation, local media report.
01:01
US limits new Covid-19 vaccines to high-risk groups, removes Pfizer for under-5s
01:00
Pix of the Day: August 26, 2025
01:59
South Africa’s HIV fight at risk after $427M US aid cut
00:51
Lil Nas X arrested in Los Angeles after street incident
Go to video
Growing concerns in West Africa about health risks from use of unregulated sexual stimulants
00:58
Turkey: baby Gorilla rescued from plane set to return to Nigeria