South Sudan
South Sudan said on Wednesday it had detained at least 17 people, most of them soldiers, suspected of committing rape and other crimes in July during an attack on Hotel Terrain in the capital Juba.
Results of a government inquiry into the incident showed between 50-100 South Sudanese soldiers had participated in the attack, said Martinson Mathew Otorumoi, who headed the investigation.
Eight suspects have been detained on rape allegations and another eight on suspicion of stealing vehicles, he said. One other suspect has been accused of injuring his victim.
The attack occurred during several days of fighting between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former vice president, Riek Machar, who belong to different ethnic groups.
On Tuesday a separate U.N. investigation of the attack said that civilians at the hotel, who included aid workers, had been subjected to or witnessed murder, acts of intimidation, sexual violence and torture.
00:51
Lil Nas X arrested in Los Angeles after street incident
01:13
Mali: Former prime minister Choguel Kokalla Maïga charged with embezzlement
01:00
Pix of the Day: August 18, 2025
Go to video
Nigeria has arrested 2 militant leaders on its most wanted list
01:00
WATCH: Thousands rally in Israel calling for Gaza hostage deal
01:00
Pix of the Day: August 11, 2025