The U.S. said on Friday that family members of U.S personnel in the Democratic Republic of Congo who were evacuated last week can now return to the country after an assessment of the security conditions.
The embassy last week asked its personnel to evacuate due to safety concerns related to the volatile political climate.
“The order to depart was made last week out of an abundance of caution considering the unstable and unpredictable security situation in the DRC,” the embassy said in a statement.
The order to depart was made last week out of an abundance of caution considering the unstable and unpredictable security situation in the DRC.
“In our latest re-evaluation, we have assessed that security conditions permit the return of family members,” it added.
Already, the United States has sanctioned three members of President Joseph Kabila’s inner circle who were said to have aided in blocking planned elections and committed human rights abuses.
No less than 50 people were killed last month in anti-government protests in the capital Kinshasa.
Presidential elections in DRC were initially scheduled for November .
Kabila’s government linked the delay to budgetary and logistical problems.
However, the opposition said elections have been purposely delayed to keep Kabila in power.
Kabila is barred by the constitution from participating in the next presidential election.
He has ruled Africa’s top copper producer since his father’s assassination in 2001.