Six people were killed in an attack in northeast Kenya on Thursday by suspected Islamist militants from the Somali group al Shabaab, the regional governor and Kenyan media reported.
The governor of Mandera county where the attack took place, Ali Roba, told Reuters that six people had been confirmed killed, confirming his comments made on Twitter.
We have suffered another Sad attack in mdr where six 6 have been confirmed killed one seriously injured. We grieve with our families.— HE Capt. Ali I Roba (@aliiroba) October 6, 2016
Thanks to the timely response by our security teams, 27 out of 33 occupants of a plot were saved unhurt. Sadly 6 lives are too many to loose— HE Capt. Ali I Roba (@aliiroba) October 6, 2016
Kenya’s Daily Nation said on its website that the attack, which it blamed on al Shabaab, occurred early in the morning.