The opposition coalition of the Democratic Republic of Congo has filed a case against some government officials at the Supreme Court on Friday over the killing of protesters during last week’s demonstration.
Led by the veteran politician Etienne Tshisekedi of the Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS), the opposition coalition is seeking redress from the court for the victims of the September 19 and 20 violence that claimed the lives of dozens of people.
He told the media on Friday that he has filed a case against two ministers and several senior officials of the security services for allegedly bribing and arming some youths to start the disorder.
Étienne Tshisekedi a deposé à la Cour Suprême une plainte contre les auteurs des massacres du 19, 20, 21 septembre pic.twitter.com/2c6Uya8VTf— Katanga Diaspora (@Diasporakatanga) September 23, 2016
The opposition has also declared a three-day national mourning from September 26 to September 29 for the burial of the victims of the clashes. He called on the people not to go to work and school during that period.
Meanwhile, the opposition has suspended the national dialogue meant to resolve the political crisis in the country.
There are conflicting reports as to the number of deaths so far during the clashes. The government says 17 people were killed, the opposition puts the toll at 50 people, while Human Rights Watch says that at least 37 people died.
The clashes erupted during a demonstration organised by the main opposition parties calling for an election on the original date in November and also for Kabila to step down at the end of his term on December 20.