Egyptian authorities said on Thursday they had arrested four people in connection with the death of dozens of migrants.
The migrant boat which was carrying about 600 people according to reports sank on Wednesday in the Mediterranean.
Some family members of the migrants told of their anguish.
“We ran to tell the coast guard that the boat was sinking and the people were dying. But they do not care for the people who died” said Shaaban Darwish.
Authorities added that they had issued a warrant for five more people connected with the tragedy.
The number of migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean from Egypt to Europe has increased significantly in the past year, EU border agency Frontex recently said.
More than 12,000 migrants arrived in Italy from Egypt between January and September, compared to 7,000 in the same period last year.
The UN refugee agency UNHCR recently said 2016 is set to be the deadliest year on record for migrants and refugees trying to reach Europe.