Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Two Italians and a Canadian kidnapped in Libya

Two Italians and a Canadian kidnapped in Libya

Libya

Italy’s foreign ministry on Monday confirmed that two of its nationals in Libya had been kidnapped.

A spokesperson for the ministry confirmed reports making the rounds in Italian media adding that the two were kidnapped in the desert region.

The two were kidnapped along with a Canadian, Sky Italia television reported.

The foreign ministry did not give firther details of the kidnapping, they declined to provide further details, citing the “delicateness” of the situation but said its crisis unit were following the situation.

News reports have said the two men work for a construction company in the Libyan city of Ghat

The north African country was plunged into chaos following the forced ouster of long time ruler Muammar al Gaddafi. President Obama has described it as ‘‘the worst mistake of his presidency’‘ revealing that there was no plan after the overthrow of Gaddafi.

READ MORE Obama: Aftermath of Gaddafi overthrow, ‘worst mistake as president’

Libya now has rival governments ruling different parts of the country, even though the UN backed government in Tripoli led by Fayez al-Sarraj has gained international trust and support over the last few months.

Islamic State had also taken parts of Sirte until recently when forces loyal to the GNA launched a massive onslaught to drive them out. The insurgents have been fighting back usually using suicide bomb attacks.