A special court in Gabon has released two Franco-Gabonese nationals arrested during last week’s violence.
The two, Baptiste 29 and Cassian 25, sons of a French national who has lived in Gabon for decades, were arrested last Thursday in the Nzeng Ayong district.
They were said to have gone to the area to see at first hand, the extent of damage caused during the post-election protest.
The head of a special court set up to try persons arrested during the post-election violence told the two “it is unwise to be at certain places at certain times”.
Violence broke out in Gabon’s capital shortly after incumbent president Ali Bongo was announced winner of the August 27 poll, beating his main challenger Jean Ping by some 5,000 votes.
The country’s parliament was torched last Wednesday by protesters opposing the results.
French prime minister, Manuel Valls, has said some 15 Franco-Gabonese are among the scores of people arrested by security forces during a crack down on the post-election violence in Gabon.
The country’s Foreign Ministry has confirmed that some Franco-Gabonese were arrested by the police but did not state the number.