Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

At least 34 pro-GNA forces killed in final battle for Sirte

At least 34 pro-GNA forces killed in final battle for Sirte

Libya

At least 34 pro government forces have been killed and some 180 wounded in Sunday’s advance to oust IS militants from Sirte.

Libyan forces launched a final assault on the last jihadists holdouts in the former stronghold.

The pro-government forces reportedly said on social media they were met with suicide attacks and 5 car bombs trying to stop the advance.

About 1000 pro government fighters are taking part in the offensive

The forces said they are close to capturing Sirte after taking most of the city in a three-month campaign and restricting militants to a small residential area in the city centre.

Since August 1, the forces have been supported by U.S. air strikes- a move that has accelerated the progress of Libyan forces, whose advance had been slowed by suicide bombings, snipers and mines.

Reuters