Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau says he will not give up with his militant activities.
Speaking in a video broadcast on Sunday, Shekau reiterated that he will make his fight against Nigeria and the entire world a “personal responsibility”.
Shekau’s announcement follows news that the Islamic State had replaced him as the leader of the militant group with Sheikh Abu Musab al-Barnawi.
He vowed to continue his fight while stressing that he will spare the lives of his Muslim brothers.
Boko Haram’s six year insurgency has killed thousands and displaced up to 2 million people in north east Nigeria and across the Lake Chad region.
Earlier on Thursday, Shekau had circulated an audio message in which he said he was still active and is not ready to accept those appointed by ISIS.
The leader says contrary to popular opinion he is neither dead nor unable to fight.
Abubakar Shekau took over Boko Haram command in 2009 following the execution of the sect’s historic leader Mohammed Yusuf.