Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Nigeria: Indian gov't optimistic of release of kidnapped nationals

Nigeria: Indian gov't optimistic of release of kidnapped nationals

Nigeria

Indian government has expressed optimism in the release of the two Indian nationals who were kidnapped in central Nigeria on Wednesday on their way to work.

The two Indian men, Sai Srinivas and Anish Sharma, were ambushed in the town of Gboko, Benue state, while they were driving to work at a cement factory owned by Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote.

The Indian external affairs minister, Sushma Swaraj, has said that the country is doing everything possible to secure their release as they are working closely with the Nigerian security.

An investigation was opened by the police immediately after the kidnapping and already some suspects have been arrested, Benue police spokesman Moses Yamu told AFP.

“The suspects we have in our custody have given useful information that will assist in the rescue of the Indians,” Yamu said.

Last month, seven construction workers including a South African, two Nigerians, three Australians and a New Zealander were kidnapped in Nigeria’s southeast after their vehicle was attacked and driver killed.

They were released a week after and according to Nigerian officials, no ransom was paid for their release.

Kidnapping for ransom has been a long-standing problem in Nigeria, particularly in the oil-producing Delta region, where criminal gangs target wealthy Nigerians and expatriate workers.

View more