South African police has confirmed that two people were killed and forty others arrested after Tuesday night’s violent protest in Mamelodi township in Pretoria.
The protest erupted after the change of mayoral candidate for the ruling ANC party which infuriated party members who are asking for the incumbent mayor to stand for the August 3 municipal elections.
Gauteng police spokesman, Noxolo Kweza, confirmed in a statement that the two people were shot dead during the violence in Mamelodi without giving any further details.
They are being prosecuted for street violence, theft, receiving stolen property and malicious damage.
She however told AFP that more than 40 people had been arrested since Tuesday in various townships in Pretoria.
“They are being prosecuted for street violence, theft, receiving stolen property and malicious damage,” she added.
Mamelodi, a shantytown east of Pretoria witnessed massive looting of shops belonging to foreigners who were forced to seek refuge in police stations.
Since Monday, 20 buses were burned and several shops vandalized in several townships of Tshwane, a municipality that encompasses Pretoria.
The police said Wednesday morning that the situation is under control despite tense atmosphere in Garankuwa and Mabopane townships, north of the city.
The South African electoral commission has expressed great concern at the increasing violence and intimidation which has also been condemned by the government on Tuesday.
S. Africa govt condemns unrest sparked by ruling party politics | Africanews https://t.co/5niMDrbqLU— africanews (@africanews) June 21, 2016
The opposition Democratic Alliance has however condemned government and the ruling party for not being able to manage its members from committing such violent acts.