Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

Sport

sport

Euro 2016: 2 British fans given prison sentence

Euro 2016: 2 British fans given prison sentence

United Kingdom

As action continues at the ongoing Euro 2016 football competition in France, a French court has convicted two British fans for their involvement in violence in the French port city of Marseille and sentenced them to two and three months in prison.

Both have also been banned from France for two years as part of their sentence.

The chief prosecutor in the French city of Marseille, Brice Robin had earlier said scores of Russians trained to fight were involved in the worst of the fan violence that erupted in the city at the start of the Euro 2016 football tournament on Saturday.

“There were about 150 supporters of Russian nationality who in reality are hooligans, who are used to this kind of behaviour and are trained for it. Some of them arrived at Marignane airport and were refused entry” he said.

Meanwhile, England manager Roy Hodgson and captain Wayne Rooney have called on fans to behave and “stay out of trouble”.

“As England manager I’m obviously very concerned about the threat which is now hanging over us and the sanctions that could possibly be imposed on the England team,“Hodgson said in a video message published on FATV.

“I would like to thank the England fans for the great support inside the stadium against Russia and now we have a big game coming against Wales, I would like to ask the fans please if you don’t have a ticket don’t travel,” Rooney added.

The European football governing body, UEFA had warned the English and Russian football associations on Sunday that their teams could be disqualified from the tournament if the fan violence which has injured several people continues.

UEFA threat came after it began disciplinary proceedings against the Russian federation on Sunday following some ugly scenes inside Marseille’s Stade Valodrome stadium at the end of Saturday’s match between England and Russia.

UEFA reiterated it would also investigate allegations of racist behaviour and the throwing of missiles and fireworks during the match.

The European football body said it would not hesitate to impose sanctions, including “the potential disqualification of their respective teams from the tournament, if such violence occurs again.

Reuters, FATV News