Uganda has a new cabinet, some old faces, others new but one appointment stands out, president Yoweri Museveni named his wife Janet Museveni as the new minister for the ministry of education and sports.
Janet previously was the minister for Karamoja affairs, a portfolio she held since 2009.
Minister of Education and Sports is HON. MUSEVENI JANET KATAAHA #UGCabinet2016— NTV UGANDA (@ntvuganda) June 6, 2016
The appointments come after a tense February election whose results were rejected by Museveni’s main rival, Kizza Besigye.
According to the list, 35 ministers especially those who lost in the last polls were dropped.
Analysts opine that Museveni’s new selection criteria appears to be based on a need to balance varied ethnic and religious interests in order to maintain a wider base of political support but the government insists that it was by merit.
The full cabinet list was as follows:
- 1. Rt. Hon. Prime Minister ─ DR. RUHAKANA RUGUNDA
- 2. 1st Deputy Prime Minister & Deputy Leader of Gov’t Business in Parliament ─ GEN. MOSES ALI
- 3. 2nd Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of East African Affairs ─ HON. KIRUNDA KIVEJINJA
- 4. Minister of Education and Sports ─ HON. MUSEVENI JANET KATAAHA
- 5. Minister of Public Service ─ HON. MURULI MUKASA
- 6. Minister of Trade, Industry & Cooperatives ─ HON. KYAMBADDE AMELIA ANNE
- 7. Minister of Internal Affairs ─ GEN. JEJE ODONGO
- 8. Minister of Agriculture, Animal Industry & Fisheries ─ HON. SSEMPIJJA BAMULANGAKI VINCENT
- 9. Minister of Finance and Economic Planning ─ HON. KASAIJA MATIA
- 10. Minister of Foreign Affairs ─ HON. KUTEESA KAHAMBA SAM
- 11. Minister of Health ─ DR. ACENG JANE
- 12. Minister of Works and Transport ─ ENGINEER NTEGE AZUBA
- 13. Minister of Lands, Housing & Urban Development ─ HON. AMONGI BETTY
- 14. Minister of Water & Environment ─ HON. CHEPTORIS SAM
- 15. Minister of Justice & Constitutional Affairs ─ MAJ. GEN.KAHINDA OTAFIIRE
- 16. Attorney General ─ MR. BYARUHANGA WILLIAM (ADVOCATE)
- 17. Minister of Defence and Veteran Affairs ─ HON. MWESIGE ADOLF
- 18. Minister of Local Government ─ HON. BUTIME TOM
- 19. Minister for Karamoja Affairs ─ HON. BYABAGAMBI JOHN
- 20. Minister of Energy and Minerals ─ HON. MULONI IRENE
- 21. Minister of Information & Communications ICT ─ HON. TUMWEBAZE FRANK
- 22. Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation ─ DR. TUMWESIGYE ELIODA
- 23. Minister in Charge of General Duties/Office of the Prime Minister ─ HON. BUSINGYE MARY KAROORO OKURUT
- 24. Minister of Disaster Preparedness & Refugees ─ HON. ONEK HILARY
- 25. Minister of Tourism, Wildlife & Antiquities ─ PROF. KAMUNTU EPHRAIM
- 26. Minister for the Presidency ─ HON. MBAYO ESTHER MBULAKUBUZA
- 27. Minister of Security ─ LT. GEN. TUMUKUNDE HENRY
- 28. Minister without Portfolio ─ HAJJI NADDULI
- 29. Minister for Kampala City Authority ─ HON. KAMYA BETTY
- 30. Government Chief Whip – HON. NANKABIRWA SENTAMU RUTH
- 31. Minister of Gender, Labour & Social affairs ─ HON. MUKWAYA JANAT
Recently, the president promoted his son Kaneirugaba Muhoozi to the position of a major general, sparking claims of a succession plan.
The 71 year old leader has ruled the east African country for 30 years.