Libyan coastguards have retrieved more migrant bodies who drowned while trying to cross the Mediterranean.
The bodies of hundreds of migrants were pulled out of the waters near the western city of Zwara.
According to Libyan authorities, coast guards found an empty boat on Thursday.
Up to now the security directorate's investigation office has documented 148 bodies.
“Of course from Thursday until Saturday, a large number of bodies of illegal immigrants have been found. Up to now the security directorate’s investigation office has documented 148 bodies, including 128 bodies that forensics have finished procedures for and 20 whose identities are still under investigation,” said Zuwara Security Spokesman, Khaleed Ben Khalifa.
Reports indicate that more than 40,000 migrants have crossed the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe.
Libya is a major departure point for migrants who are seeking a better life.
The discoveries of the bodies is the latest in a string of tragedies that has claimed over 1000 lives in less than two weeks.
According to the International Organisation for Migration, the number of migrants in Libya could rise to 700,000 and one million this year. So far, the organisation has identified more than 200,000.
Recently, the European Union committee charged with overseeing the end of migrant smuggling in the Mediterranean said it is proving to be difficult.