A day after announcing his candidacy for the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) presidential elections scheduled for later this year, Moise Katumbi has claimed that security forces plan to arrest him after they surrounded his home on Thursday.
The opposition politician has also asked the UN mission in DRC for protection.
“I sent a letter to the (UN mission) MONUSCO seeking their protection because I am in danger, my security is not guaranteed,” he told AFP.
No matter what occurs, I maintain my bid and remain firm in my peaceful struggle for the rule of law. Democracy will win.
He however said he was unfazed by the presence of police around his home in two posts he made on his personal handle on social media platform, twitter.
1) Since this morning, police forces are surrounding my house. To arrest me. This is Kabila's response to my presidential bid !— Moise Katumbi (@moise_katumbi) May 5, 2016
2) No matter what occurs, I maintain my bid and remain firm in my peaceful struggle for the rule of law. Democracy will win.— Moise Katumbi (@moise_katumbi) May 5, 2016
The TP Mazembe CEO is seen as the biggest challenge yet to President Joseph Kabila, after he accepted to be the presidential candidate of an opposition coalition comprising the G7, the Collectif des Nationalistes, and the Alternance pour la République 2016.
Congo’s government has accused him of recruiting foreign mercenaries to work as his personal security and filed a lawsuit against him on Wednesday.
Tele 50, a pro-government television station last week reported that Katumbi was recruiting mercenaries and had a rebel army.
But the 51-year-old businessman has dismissed the accusation and asked the government and the international community to investigate the allegations.
The Democratic Republic of Congo has been under pressure from the international community to organise the presidential election in November before the end of Kabila’s last mandate.
Critics however say Kabila is seeking to prolong his rule into a third term by delaying the poll.