Egypt
Seif Eldin Mustafa, the man who hijacked an EgyptAir plane in March appeared before a court in Cyprus on Friday.
The 59-year-old’s appearance was for a court hearing over his possible extradition to Egypt.
Cairo last week evoked a 1996 bilateral extradition to ask Cypriot authorities to send Mustafa to Egypt to face charges.
He wore a fake explosive belt and commandeered a plane travelling from Alexandria to Cairo, forcing it to land at Cyprus’ Larnaca airport.
Man who hijacked EgyptAir plane last month claims Cyprus asylum https://t.co/r3c8kJIXiJ
— Sky News (@SkyNews) April 13, 2016
Most of the 81 people on board the domestic flight, EgyptAir 181, were released shortly after the plane landed in Cyprus.
The entire drama lasted for about six hours.
Mustafa has been described as psychologically unstable.
When he was arrested, witnesses said he threw a letter on the tarmac, written in Arabic, asking that it be delivered to his ex-wife.
He has explained that his action was to enable him see Cypriot ex-wife and children.
Mustafa will remain in police custody until his extradition papers are ready.
Reuters, Agencies
01:00
Pix of the Day: August 22, 2025
00:41
Pix of the Day: August 21, 2025
01:02
'Existential threat': Sisi warns on Nile water as Ethiopia completes dam
01:01
Shanghai Museum opens for 168 hours for a final look at ancient Egypt
Go to video
Egypt seeks to renew cooperation with Sudan
01:58
Egypt says 800 aid trucks sent for Gaza as more await clearance