Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Nigerian govt and international community failed Chibok girls - Activists

Nigerian govt and international community failed Chibok girls - Activists

Nigeria

The Nigerian government and the international community are to blame for the failure to rescue the over 200 school girls kidnapped from Chibok by the Islamist group, Boko Haram.

That is according to advocacy group, Bring Back Our Girls, which said the international community has achieved nothing after it pledged to support Nigerian authorities find the school girls.

At a press conference, after a march to commemorate second anniversary of the disappearance of the girls, the Coordinator of the Bring Back Our Girls group, Aisha Yesufu sent a reminder to the “leaders of the free world that our Chibok girls are still not back.”

Attention is needed here in Nigeria to support our government with all the military and intelligence capabilities that can help achieve success.

She said the “attention” of those leaders “is needed here in Nigeria to support our government with all the military and intelligence capabilities that can help achieve success.”

Aisha Yesufu singled out the United States, United Kingdom, France, Canada, Australia, Israel and China, countries “which had indicated support earlier on in 2014 without achieving any real results” and asked them “to please return fully to help with the rescue operation.”

President Muhammadu Buhari won last year’s election on the promise that he would crush the Islamist group Boko Haram.

In December last year, President Buhari said the government could talk to jihadists to return the girls if credible representatives emerged. But no update has been given since then and the kidnapped girls make much less headlines in Nigeria than before.

276 girls were kidnapped from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok on April 14, 2014 when they were preparing for the senior secondary school examinations.

Two years on, about 219 of them still remain in captivity with their whereabouts unknown.

Meanwhile, a parent of one of the abducted girls has recognised some of the girls in a video taken in December and submitted to Nigerian government officials by Boko Haram as proof of life for negotiations.

The video was published by international broadcaster CNN.

_Reuters _