The government of Mali has extended the state of emergency in the country until July 15.
According to a government press release issued at the end of a Council of Ministers meeting, the objective is to continue the fight against terrorism in the face of attacks from the jihadists.
A state of emergency was declared by the Malian authorities last year and then extended following a vote in the National Assembly.
Through the adoption of a draft act, the Malian authorities allow the extension of a measure which had been reinstated for ten days and which expires on April 14 at midnight.
“Through the adoption of a draft act, the Malian authorities allow the extension of a measure which had been reinstated for ten days and which expires on April 14 at midnight.”
This decision was needed, since according to the Malian Constitution, an extension beyond 10 days must be authorized by the Act, the statement said.
The state of emergency was first issued for ten days in the evening of the attack by the Islamists at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Bamako, on November 20 (20 died in the attack, in addition to the two assailants killed), and again, on December 21 for ten days.
On December 31, it was extended for three months, till March 31, then reintroduced on April 4 for ten days.
“This measure of extension gives more possibilities of intervention to the security forces and restricts the gatherings in this country regularly confronted with attacks against the army and the foreign forces that are fighting groups jihadists,” government said.
Dozens of jihadists or suspects have been arrested; weapons seized; criminal projects thwarted and demonstrations prohibited. But the Malian Government intends to remain vigilant in the fight against terrorism and insecurity.