UNICEF has reported that Boko Haram’s use of child bombers has increased over the last year with one in five suicide attacks carried out by children.
UNICEF (@UNICEF) April 12, 2016
Data from the UN children’s agency shows that 44 children were used in suicide attacks in north-east Nigeria and neighbouring countries in 2015, compared with four from the previous year.
The report, Beyond Chibok, shows that last year, children were used in half of the attacks in Cameroon, one out of eight in Chad, and one out of seven in Nigeria.
It also indicated that girls accounted for three-quarters of child suicide bombers in 2015.
The report further stated that last year, for the first time, ‘suicide’ bombing attacks in general spread beyond Nigeria’s borders.
The frequency of all suicide bombings increased from 32 in 2014 to 151 last year. In 2015, 89 of these attacks were carried out in Nigeria, 39 in Cameroon, 16 in Chad and 7 in Niger.
“The number of children involved in ‘suicide’ attacks in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger has risen sharply over the past year, from 4 in 2014 to 44 in 2015, according to a UNICEF report released today. More than 75 per cent of the children involved in the attacks are girls,” read the report.
The report also noted that more than 1.3 million children had been forced from their homes.
In its report, UNICEF said it needed $97 million to provide vaccinations, schooling, drinking water, mental health aid and other assistance to families affected by the activities of Boko Haram.
It said it had so far received $11 million.