Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

Congo: Former presidential candidate says he fears for his life

Congo: Former presidential candidate says he fears for his life

Republic of the Congo

One of the candidates who contested Denis Sassou Nguesso in the Republic of Congo’s March 20 poll has said he fears for his life as his home in the capital Brazzaville has been surrounded by security forces.

According to the BBC, Jean -Marie Mokoko said his security detail, which he is entitled to as a former army general, had been removed.

Although several media have reported about Mokoko’s apparent house arrest, which he described as a dead end, the BBC reported that a Police spokesperson refused to confirm or deny the allegations made by the former general.

The former advisor to the Congolese president called for civil disobedience following the declaration of President Denis Sassou Nguesso as victor of the March 20 polls.

He has however indicated that he stands for peace and has denied any involvement in Monday’s clashes in the capital Brazzaville between security forces and a group said to be “ninjas.” 17 people were killed during the upheaval.

Five opposition candidates have rejected the results of the March 20 election calling it a “massive fraud.”