The much awaited trial of Egypt’s former president Hosni Mubarak scheduled for Thursday was for the fourth time adjourned due to security concerns.
#Mubarak trial for conspiring to kill Jan 25 protesters adjourned to Nov 3, security cites difficulties transferring him to downtown court— Mada Masr مدى مصر (@MadaMasr) April 7, 2016
The retrial was adjourned to November 3 after the former president, who is being tried for conspiring to kill protesters, did not attend due to “concerns about his secure transfer to the appeals court in downtown Cairo”, local Egyptian media, Mada Masr reported.
Egypt’s Justice Ministry’s suggestion to move the trial to a police academy in the country’s outskirts was rebuffed by the court.
The trial was adjourned to provide enough time for the search of a more suitable place, Mada Masr reports.
The trial has previously been delayed twice since November last year due to varying opinions between the country’s internal affairs authority and the justice system.
Residents of Cairo are now impatient and indifferent and want the case to end.
“No matter what happens to Mubarak, it makes no difference to us,” said a Cairo resident.
“I hope the case will be closed once and for all for Egyptians to move on from this page. No matter whether he gets the death penalty or a life sentence, let the judge decide, thank goodness,” said another resident.
The ousted president was accused of ordering the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his 30-year rule.